Type of Publication: Article in Collected Edition
CONCEPTUALIZING EA CITIES: TOWARDS VISUALIZING ENTERPRISE ARCHITECTURES AS CITIES
- Rehring; K.; Brée; T.; Gulden; J.; Bredenfeld; L.
- Title of Anthology:
- Proceedings of the 27th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS)
- Stockholm & Uppsala, Sweden
- Publication Date:
- Enterprise Architecture Management, Enterprise Architecture Visualization, City Metaphor
- CONCEPTUALIZING EA CITIES: TOWARDS VISUALIZING ENTERPRISE ARCHITECTURES AS CITIES (1.06 MB)
- Link to complete version:
Enterprise Architectures (EAs) are commonly visualized in the form of text, numbers, tables, graphs, models, and diagrams. These information visualization types are used to describe EAs in today’s organizations, but often lack an intuitive representation. In this paper, we provide another form of EA visualization utilizing the city metaphor. This spatial metaphor is suitable for visualizing complex information structures and potentially facilitates easy understanding of EAs, especially for non-IT staff. Based on a literature review and three rounds of open card sorting, we mapped eleven classes of EA objects to city elements. Our results enabled us to develop a formal language that allows an implementable and human-readable specification of various views, which we call EA City. We created an early stage 3D EA City prototype to demonstrate its applicability. Our model provides a solid foundation for further work on the city metaphor in the context of EA visualization.